All you need is your passport

How to get Married in New York City

All you need is your passport

How to get Married in New York City

If you are a bit fuzzy on the how, here is a quick overview of what you’d need to do:

First, you need to obtain your Marriage License. This process only takes about 15 minutes and it can be done as soon as you arrive in NYC. The City Clerk’s office is located in Downtown Manhattan at 141 Worth St. They are open Monday through Friday from 8:30AM to 3:45PM. For more information about our City Clerk’s office please click HERE.

Once you have your Marriage License, you are ready to be Legally Married! Your wedding ceremony must be officiated at least 24 hours after obtaining your license. So, if you picked up your license on a Tuesday, you can have your ceremony on Wednesday or any other day after.

You will bring your License to your wedding day, and the Wedding officiant will sign it, along with your witness (you only need one) and the two of you.

We will then file your papers and you will receive your “Wedding Certificate” in the mail within about 4 weeks.

I hope you you found this helpful and enjoyed our website. Please contact us to start planning your Unforgettable wedding!

The first step is to obtain your marriage license. You can start this process while you are still home, but going online and filling out an application. This will save your a great deal of time! Here is the link to start your application for a marriage license online:

You do NOT need an Extended Certificate

Yes! That is Correct. If you are a UK resident you do not need to obtain an extended certificate or an apostille to make your marriage legal in the UK.
Once your wedding is completed, we will send your license to the clerk’s office and the US government will mail you your Wedding Certificate. That is absolutely all you need to make your marriage legal in the United Kingdom. You can watch this video for more information:

Once you have your license, you must wait 24 hours before you can have your wedding ceremony. That means that if you obtain your marriage license on Tuesday, you can get married on Wednesday or any day after. But you can NOT have your ceremony on that same Tuesday.

After the ceremony, your wedding officiant will sign the license along with your witness (you only need one) and we will send your license back to the City Clerk’s office. They will process it and mail you a Wedding Certificate within a few weeks (typically 5 weeks from your wedding day). If you are in a hurry, and you would like to come back home with your wedding certificate in had, you can also take your signed license back to the clerk’s office in person, and they will issue your marriage certificate right there in the moment and hand it to you.